Forum about Changes at the Middle Schools
Reminder – District 97 and the PTO Council are inviting parents/guardians and staff members to join us on October 10 for our ongoing dialogue about what is being done and how we can work together to help Brooks and Julian further develop into world-class middle schools. Learn More >>
Middle School Fun Run
Reminder – The Oak Park Middle School’s Magnificent Mile Fun Run will be held on Sunday, October 14. Learn More >>
Reminder – Fall parent-teacher conferences will be held on Thursday, October 18 and Friday October 19.
No School on October 8
On Monday, October 8, District 97’s schools and administration building will be closed in observance of Columbus Day.
Reminder – We have created a mobile application that smartphone owners can download and use to access important school and district-related information at any time (news, calendar, digital backpack, Web store, etc.). Click here for additional information or to download the app. Please note that this app will not work on a tablet device (e.g., iPad).
Beye’s Walk to School Day Celebration Featured on OakPark.com
Teacher and Students from Brooks Featured in Oak Leaves Article about Common Core
Language arts teacher Lisa Hendrix and students from Brooks Middle School were featured in an article about the Common Core State Standards that was published in this week’s edition of the Oak Leaves. Read the article >>
Comcast Internet Essentials Program
Comcast has created a program called Internet Essentials, which offers students and their families access to affordable home Internet service.
The features of the program include:
- Internet service for $9.95 per month (plus tax)
- No price increases, activation fees or equipment rental fees
- The opportunity to purchase a computer for $149.99 (plus tax) when families enroll in the program
- Access to free Internet training (online, in print and in person)
A household is eligible to participate in the program if it meets all of the following criteria:
- It is located where Comcast offers Internet service
- It has at least one child receiving free or reduced price school lunches under the National School Lunch Program
- It has not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
- It does not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment
Additional information about Internet Essentials can be accessed by clicking here.
Community Flyers from the Digital Backpack
Below are links to the information from the community that is featured in this week’s edition of the digital backpack.
- Fall FAASt Potluck – October 26
- Oak Park Art League’s Fall Class Schedule
- Brookfield Zoo School Newsletter – Fall and Winter 2012
- 8th Annual “Recycle with Ronald” Event – October 6
- Supported Education Association’s (SEA) IEP Workshop – October 13
- OPRF High School’s Homecoming Events – October 11 to 13
Information from the Village of Oak Park – Voter Registration Deadline
Tuesday, October 9, is the deadline to register to vote in the November election. The deadline applies to new residents, residents who have recently moved and individuals who will be 18 years old by Election Day on November 6. Registration is offered from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at Village Hall (123 Madison St.), as well as from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Oak Park Township (105. S. Oak Park Ave.) A few evening and weekend registration opportunities also still remain – click here for a list of dates, times and place. Two types of identification are required, at least one with the current address. A driver’s license or picture ID is preferred, along with an additional item such as a lease or utility bill. For more information, call 708-358-5670 or e-mail email@example.com.