Guidelines for PTO Expenditures
In order for the PTO Treasurers to maintain accurate records, your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Please remember that the Treasurers are working from a budget that was created by the PTO Executive Board and approved by the PTO. It is not the Treasurers’ sole discretion to determine how funds are allocated. All expenses are discussed at PTO meetings. Expenditures exceeding $500 require approval by a quorum before the Treasurers are allowed to draft a check.
Below are a few simple guidelines for making expenditures using PTO funds.
GET APPROVAL, MAKE A PURCHASE, GET REIMBURSED
STEP 1: GET APPROVAL
- BEFORE making a purchase, fill out and submit a Request for Funding Approval form. Forms can be placed in the PTO mailbox, located in the main office. This form is usually done by faculty and Committee Chairs to help determine committee budgets, for large purchases, and record keeping purposes. An email to a PTO board member is NOT a substitute for filling out this form and submitting it.
STEP 2: LET’S GO SHOPPING
- Acquire a copy of the PTO Tax Exemption Letter from a Committee Chair or PTO board member. The Volunteer Coordinator can provide a copy of the letter to chairs as needed.
- Do NOT mix personal purchases with PTO purchases in a single transaction. It is often difficult to distinguish between PTO and personal transactions on a receipt and personal items are NOT tax exempt.
STEP 3: GET REIMBURSED
- Fill out the Request for Reimbursement
- Attach receipt(s) to the form and place in an envelope marked PTO Request for Reimbursement.
- Submit receipt(s) and form within 30 days from the purchase date (date on receipt).
- The treasurer will draft a check to reimburse you within 5 business days.
MAKING A PAYMENT FOR A PTO SPONSORED ACTIVITY
- Please make all checks out to the “IRVING PTO.”
- Place check or cash and any forms in an envelope; do NOT staple payment to the form.
- Mark the envelope with the activity for which the payment is intended so the appropriate committee chair can identify, retrieve, and process your registration and payment (i.e. Eagle Extra, Birthday book club, Yearbook, etc.)
Thank you for helping us to efficiently serve the Irving community. We look forward to another great year of learning, fellowship, and fun!