Get Creative during eLearning Week – Low-Tech Options for Downtime
Our students will be spending even more time on screens thanks to eLearning. Here are some quick tips for things to promote during their downtime. Remember, a good night’s sleep will make this social distancing a lot more palatable. Keeping screens off for at least 1-2 hours before bedtime is proven to help promote a solid night of sleep.
- Play outside! Yes, even in the rain (with proper gear of course!). With social distancing this will change the healthy proximity of our kids with their neighbors, but there are still plenty of ways to take advantage of our shift toward springtime.
- Card games. For a low cost, a deck of cards can be purchased at area drugstores. Check this website for instructions for how to play a variety of card games.
- Get the children involved in food prep. Make sure they wash their hands first, but there’s no reason kids can’t pick up a few new skills in the kitchen during this break from extracurricular activities.
- Download audiobooks from the Oak Park Public Library.
- Volunteer to help neighbors who are elderly with yard work or other errands or tasks outside of their homes.