Yes, spring and summer will come. I have faith that soon we will all feel the hot sun on our shoulders. If you are like me, you can’t wait to get out in the garden and wake up that earth! Well look no further because the Irving garden needs you! There are a lot of ways to volunteer in the Irving Garden. Here are just a few:
- Fill greenhouses with dirt (thanks to those that helped on this. There is still a little dirt left on the native prairie garden)
- Prepare the garden beds for planting (Some volunteers are tackling this memorial day weekend.Bring a shovel and join in the fun. actual dates and times are not known yet. Contact Bharathi at firstname.lastname@example.org or just come on by)
- Help classrooms transplant seedlings into garden beds (late May, early June)
- Repair and improve watering system (ASAP)
- Tend and water the garden over the summer
- Help harvest veggies throughout summer and into fall
All these things are important. I am particularly seeking assistance with the watering system. The hose connections leak, the sprinkler heads are failing and get smothered by the plants after a while and the water pressure is poor. Any creative, handy parents out there want to take this project on?
Finally, I am also looking for someone to take over my role of coordinator. I can assist this spring and there are a few dedicated volunteers that can assist as well. Please let me know if you are interested in any of these needs.
Here’s to spring and warmer days!